Tips To Saving Money In The Laundry Room

Tips To Saving Money In The Laundry Room

Are you looking to save some money on your energy costs? Here are some handy tips to start right in the laundry room.

We Do a Lot of Laundry

The simple task of doing laundry can add up. When you consider the cost of the detergent, bleach, fabric softener, and the cost of heating water for cleaning your clothes, the average family doing four loads of laundry a week will spend over $332 per year just on laundry…and that doesn’t even consider the cost to run the washer and dryer. In fact, that may be underestimating since the Environmental Protection Agency has determined that the average household actually does about 400 loads of laundry a year. That is more than one every day.

Hot Water and Hot Air

Approximately 90% of the cost of doing laundry comes from heating water for washing and heating air for drying. The remaining 10% of electricity goes to run the actual motors for these appliances. So it stands to reason that the best way to save energy on laundry is to find ways to wash and dry clothing while reducing the hot water and hot air per load.

Washing Finesse

Washing laundry in cold water only costs about four cents per load. This is substantially less than what it takes for a load of clothing washed in heated water. Washing full loads instead of partial ones can also make a difference. It takes the same amount of energy to wash a small or partial load of laundry as a full load. Wait until you can wash a full load instead of washing small loads.

Energy efficient washers use far less water per load than a standard washer. And front loading washers can use up to two thirds less water than top loaders. All of this spells savings in energy and water consumption.

Drying Savvy

When it comes to the dryer, air circulation and ventilation are important. The lint filter should be cleaned each time the dryer is used. Make sure you have taken as much moisture out of the clothing before you load the dryer by spinning it on high in your washer. Also make sure you aren’t over-drying clothes. Shut off the dryer and remove the clothing as soon as it is dry.

When the weather is nice, take advantage of Mother Nature and dry your laundry outdoors. Not only does it save energy, but lends your laundry that wonderful fresh air smell. When the weather turns cooler or inclement, make use of a folding drying rack for natural drying.

One of the best ways to make sure you are spending less money on laundry is to make sure your washer and dryer are functioning properly. With a seasonal maintenance plan, you can have peace of mind that your appliances are working at their peak and not wasting energy.

Call your San Diego appliance repair specialists at San Diego Appliance Repair Company to ask about our maintenance plans for all your household appliances.

Contact us:

(619) 928-5000

[email protected]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.